Saturday, 9 March 2013

Inspiration: Look to the Past.

All pictures taken by my family, decades ago! As you can see, I cropped them because, well, they're personal? Hope you understand. They're still gorgeous, right?
 Hey everyone! Hope you're having a stellar weekend - I've been spending mine completely unwinding. It's been lovely.

Now, I'm not someone who is very informed about past decades' trends.. I don't hail pin-up girls, and I'll gladly confess that Marylin Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor are the only Hollywood starlets I am remotely familiar with! I really have to work on that.  But, I recently came across some photos of my family from years and years gone by (I'm talking, my dad in a pram 'years gone by'). Even though I don't often look to the 50s and 60s for inspiration, these pictures dazzled me.  It really made me see it all differently. It seems more real now, because I have seen people I know and love in cat-eye glasses, and in little shorts with socks to their knees. I can now say that my favourite thing about the 50s/60s was the simplicity of it all: Not Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, not even Twiggy (although, she's beautiful, there's no denying). Instead, I love the pale, muted colours and family pictures.

I urge everyone out there to hunt down some old photos of your family growing up. If you can't find any, do some research! But, good luck finding anything that isn't The Beatles - The real pictures of real people are the best ones.

3 comments:

  1. I love old photos and earlier decades, its such a shame to miss out on such glamour :P

    http://gingerchestnut.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, just you wait - In 50 years' time, they'll be saying WE were glamourous! Imagine..

      Delete
    2. Looking at the 90s, lets hope not!

      Delete