Tuesday, 31 December 2013

2013: Life Lessons




Well, there you have it - it's the last day of the year again, and I'm a fearful/emotional wreck, because a 'new chapter of life' is supposed to start tomorrow, although I have no idea if I'm ready for it.

I'm not the type of person to adopt the whole 'new year, new me' philosophy - I always fear letting myself down by setting unreachable goals, and I have a serious fear of rules, schedules and anything that binds me to something on paper. So, rather than saying 'you can do better', I like do focus on 'you did better' - I think it's just as effective, as it tends to motivate me to keep going with whatever I'm doing. This year's biggest 'you did better' was learning to look in depth at something before dismissing it - oppurtunities, people, hobbies, everything. 

I used to spend a lot of time complaining about things - I hate living here. People are boring. That movie looks awful, and it must be if my parents recommend it. And so on. I let stuff pass me by without even looking at them, and it was all down to me not feeling they were worth doing/seeing - because I thought they wouldn't fit my ideals or supposed taste.

What I didn't realise was, the only way to develop sed taste was to see everything, do everything, experience everything. And, for some reason, 2013 became the year I began to do that. I started new hobbies, listened to different music, and even made some unlikely but irreplaceable friendships.

And suddenly, when I did this, all the stigmas went away - I listened to people's recommendations, I stopped hating Waterford (a little), and now I've grown because I've gained knowledge, confidence, experience, the lot. If there's one resolution I think everyone should have for 2014, it would be to try out some new things. There is so much to be gained from new experiences, regardless of whether you actually liked or disliked it.

Have a wonderful new year, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment