Sunday, 14 September 2014

The Shortcut to an Undercut

 
No, I'm not saying I'm the birth child of Grimes (repping everything I want in hair and life) and Cara Delevingne (source of hair inspo and a lot of insecurity).. This is a diagram to illustrate today's beauty experiment. Jeez, I need to stop cropping myself into photos next to beautiful people :xxxxxxxx


All in the name of science, I'm going to be recreating the 'neck undercut' look without touching an electric trimmer - or rather, try to do so. For science. 

The concept: 'Soft naff' - A term I've coined to explain the concept behind a neck undercut: It's as edgy and alternative as a traditional sidecut, but when sported with a dodgy bun and a grotty bomber jacket, it brings out a chavvy androgyny that's got 'street style' written all over it - very rare. Androgyny is normally a 'catwalk only' thing, often written in flashing lights with gothic undertones. I personally find the opposing subtlety of a neck undercut to be  faaabulous, and so I had to try one for myself - minus the nerves, dedication and awkward growing out of the real, shaven thing. Hence, I've come up with my own version - refer to my diagram above for the full idea - combining both the sectioning of an undercut with the principals of cornrows (do you like my logical lingo??????). Cara D did it last year at the Met Gala Ball, and now I'm looking to do the same - just on a different part of my head.

The Nitty Gritty: This took many a bobby pin, bobbin, elastic, comb, etc.. It also took a considerable amount of time, but I'm guessing that's because I was cornrowing for the first time, and I couldn't see what I was doing - this is where having two mirrors would come in handy. I started by sectioning my hair in a straight, straight line from one ear to the other, tying the top half of hair up out of the way. I then carried out the cornrow process (see the tutorial below - if I tried to explain it in my own words I would probably cause your reading device to implode with confusion, create a black hole, end the world, etc... I'm doing this for your sake). I did so starting at the base of my neck, working upward until I reached the upper section of hair, where I tied the braid off with a wee elastic.


The Result: I ended up with a mock undercut pretty close to what I had initially visualised, which was great! However, this is definitely a hairstyle that you'll do better on a friend than on yourself - eugh. I would advise anyone who wants to try out the look to get the braids as tight as possible also, just for neatness and a longer lasting style - having said that, I managed to wash my hair, sleep in it and wear it for a full day before taking it out, but that was moreso to do with personal preference than its upkeep. I'm sure I could've gone another day or two.

So, will you be trying out the fundercut? (Faux undercut - emphasis on 'FUN')

Whilst doing research, I found out that Paul Smith did something similar for his SS12 show - but they hid the plaits. So, can I claim it as my own invention or?

No comments:

Post a Comment